2 slices sourdough
2 slices gruyere cheese
500g Salt beef
1ltr Veg stock
250ml Red Wine
1/2 bunch Thyme
Salt & pepper
¼ Red cabbage
½ bunch Coriander
20ml Soy sauce
5ml Fish sauce
To make the beef:
1. Put all of the ingredients into a large pot and allow to gently simmer until the beef is cooked and starts to shred easily (approx. 3 hours).
2. Remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool completely, then drain.
To make the Russian dressing:
1. Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
To make the Asian slaw:
1. Shred the cabbage and slice the vegetables. Toss together and season with salt.
2. Mix together the soy sauce, fish sauce and lime juice to make the dressing.
3. Add the dressing to the vegetables, mix well and top with chopped coriander and lime juice to taste.
To assemble the sandwich:
1. Place some salt beef on a slice of sourdough.
2. Top with Gruyere cheese and top with the second slice of sourdough. Pan fry for 1min on each side until lightly toasted.
3. Grill in the oven for 1min until the cheese if completely melted.
4. Remove from the heat and add some Asian slaw and Russian dressing.
Tom Cenci is the Executive Chef at The Duck & Waffle