32g Galangal (i.e. wild ginger root)
15g Red chilli (hot)
50g Red chilli (normal)
80g Coconut milk
2 Salam leaves (Note: If you don’t have these, use bay leaves)
62g Lemongrass, chopped
60g Palm sugar
20g Coriander seeds
10g Shrimp paste
50g Shallots, fried
18g Lime juice (Preferably from small Balinese limes. The riper and juicier the better.)
1000g Boneless chicken (inc. the fat)
1 1/2 Lime leaves, shredded
Salt and pepper
Whole lemongrass sticks
1. Finely mince the garlic, ginger, galangal, turmeric, hot chilli, red chill and shallots.
2. Sauté half the mixture in a frying pan.
3. Add the coconut milk, salam leaves, chopped lemongrass and palm sugar.
4. Use a blender to blend together the chicken and spice paste. Season with the salt, pepper and fried shallots.
5. Wrap the chicken mixture around the top half of the lemongrass sticks. They should resemble plump chicken popsicles.
6. Grill the sates over hot charcoal until cooked through and mouth-wateringly caramelised on the outside.
Serves 10 (based on a serving of 3-4 lemongrass sticks per person).
This recipe was shown to us at a cookery class with the Head Chef at Tiigo Restaurant at Montigo Resort, Seminyak.